Brand & Generic Names
- Habit forming? No
- Prescription needed? No
- Available as generic? No
- Drug class: Laxative (hyperosmotic)
- Constipation relief.
- Treats brain changes caused by liver disease.
Dosage & Usage Information
How to take:
Liquid--Dilute dose in beverage before swallowing.
When to take:
Usually once a day, preferably in the morning.
If you forget a dose:
Take as soon as you remember up to 8 hours
before bedtime. If later, wait for next scheduled dose (don't
double this dose). Don't take at bedtime.
What drug does:
Draws water into bowel from other body tissues. Causes
distention through fluid accumulation, which promotes soft stool
and accelerates bowel motion.
Time lapse before drug works:
30 minutes to 3 hours.
Don't take with:
Another medicine. Space 2 hours apart.
Fluid depletion, weakness, vomiting, fainting.
WHAT TO DO:
Overdose unlikely to threaten life. If person takes much larger
amount than prescribed, call doctor, poison-control center or
hospital emergency room for instructions.
Possible Adverse Reactions or Side Effects
Warnings & Precautions
Don't take if:
- You are allergic to any hyperosmotic laxative.
- You have symptoms of appendicitis, inflamed bowel or
- You have missed a bowel movement for only 1 or 2 days.
Before you start, consult your doctor:
- If you have congestive heart disease.
- If you have diabetes.
- If you have high blood pressure.
- If you have a colostomy or ileostomy.
- If you have kidney disease.
- If you have a laxative habit.
- If you have rectal bleeding.
- If you take another laxative.
- If you require a low-galactose diet.
Over age 60:
Adverse reactions and side effects may be more frequent and
severe than in younger persons.
No proven problems. Avoid if possible. Consult doctor.
No problems expected. Consult doctor.
Infants & children:
Use only under medical supervision.
Don't take for more than 1 week unless under a doctor's
supervision. May cause laxative dependence.
Skin & sunlight:
No problems expected.
Driving, piloting or hazardous work:
No problems expected.
May be unnecessary to finish medicine. Follow doctor's
Don't take to "flush out" your system or as a "tonic."
Possible Interaction with Other Drugs
||Increased effect of both in brain
||changes caused by liver disease.
Possible Interaction with Other Substances